Saturday, June 1, 2013

My dentist knows - kinda...

I have had a slight tooth ache for the past weeks and decided I wanted to go to the dentist before it got worse. Plus, I wanted to get my x-rays and dental treatment out of the way before I`ll get pregnant.

Since I moved last summer, I needed a new dentist and during my first consultation, I told her that I was trying to get pregnant and that I wanted this to be taken care of as soon as possible. I wanted to be honest with her, because I wanted her to act quickly and not let me wait for an appointment for weeks. But also, I did not want to lie.

On the new patient form, I had marked that I was single. I did not wear a ring on my left or right ring finger. During the consultation, she never bothered to comment on me being single and trying to get pregnant. She explained to me that she would get the x-rays done today, but that I could have treatment even during my pregnancy as long as it is not during the final weeks when it gets hard to lie on your back.

However, when I finally got into the chair so that she could check my teeth, the assistant immediately asked me if I had met my husband here, where I live right now. I said: "No."
Then the dentist shot the next question and asked, if my husband was from Europe like I am. I said: "No."
Before I even had the time to explain,  she asked if my husband had the same job as I did. And I said: "No."
And I finally said: "I am not married."

The dentist let out a loud and long "Ohhhh." that sounded more like sigh than a critique. But I did not offer a more detailed explanation.

I am not sure what she thought. She might have thought that I lied to her, or that I was trying to get pregnant with a boyfriend or whatever. It was a weird situation.

I am still trying to figure out what to tell the people around me, when I finally get pregnant. It is a little bit like being gay and coming out of the closet I guess. Maybe this was a little bit like a test run. I usually have no problem sharing my life with others. I am always very open and never shy to even admit my flaws (something that might not be a good strategy in life but I can`t help it).

But this is not a flaw.

I am actually very proud to try to become an SMC. It is one of the most courageous things I have tried in my life - even more so than moving from one continent to another where I had no friends or family and did not speak the language all that well.

I am not ashamed about trying to become an SMC but I know others might not see it that way. My friends were very supportive but not everybody is. Do other people even have to know about this? Even though, it is not a secret, it is also not exactly their business. So, I think, eventually, I will have to come up with a plan who, when and how I will tell people... but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment