Thursday, April 25, 2013

How much is a (single) life worth?

My friend got mugged. She was on her way home from work and bought a pizza. As she was walking home three guys came up to her and tried to block her way and asked for the pizza. Even though she is single without kids, she said: "I am sorry, but I have to go home to feed my family." Her only family is her cat, but the guys did not know that and as soon as she mentioned her family, they stepped aside and let her go.

Can you believe this?

A choice mom friend of mine mentioned the other day, how much it irks her if she watches a crime series in which a person is held at gunpoint and then says: "Don`t kill me, I have kids." A statement like this implies that having kids adds value to life. Because the person has kids, he or she should be spared and let go.

I understand that argument, but shouldn`t people without kids have the same right to be spared?

The other summer, friends of mine told me that the husband's company is cutting positions and let a lot of people go. However, he added just immediately, that he is not worried about becoming unemployed because he had a family with kids. This statement bothered me beyond believe. If he is let go, he still has a perfectly healthy wife, who could return to work and make up for the loss of income. If a single person is let go, there is noone who can compensate the loss of income.

Just to be clear on this issue: This strange attitude in society is NOT the reason why I am trying to have children. But it bothers me how others treat me and others just because we do not have children. I mean, just because you do not have kids of your own, you still need a job just like anybody else. Plus, you can still play an important and valuable role in society and other people`s lives.

For example, I teach at the college level. Because of what students learned in my classes and because of the extra work, I invested in them outside of class helping with applications and interview preparations, many of them got really great jobs. A lot of them are in positions now, where they have a big influence on society. Maybe they would be in the same positions without me, but I am proud that I had a chance to help them along the way. So, even though, I do not have kids of my own yet (!), I think my life is worth just as much as a mother`s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment