Since I just moved to a new town a couple of months ago, I thought it would be nice to make some new friends and to build a support network for when baby gets here. Preferably, I would like to meet people that I do not work with because I see them every day anyway.
Being in your mid-thirties, single, and without children is a little bit like being an alien or a social outcast. You did not fulfill your duty to society by producing offspring, so you do not really have a place in society. Of course, this is not what people would openly say, but this is what it often feels like. It is extremely hard to find other people my age to hang out with. Everybody is constantly busy with their families.
To make a long story short, I thought I might find some friends at church. An open, liberal church of course, and not one that will crucify me right next to Jesus when they will find out that I am planning my pregnancy without a man. Hanging on a cross is not how I see my first trimester to end...
Anyway, I finally found this church with a pastor who is about my age. She is super nice and has adopted two kids from Africa. So, when I said I was thinking about joining the church, she invited me over for coffee.
I told her that I was looking for a church home, where I could find some friends, but that most people my age have kids and their whole life revolves around these kids. I asked about a singles group at her church where I could maybe meet people my age without kids. She said she would get me in contact with D. who is also single.
During our first meeting, it turned out, D. is about 59 (according to facial features) and about 69 (according to her fashion taste). Apparently my entire request to meet people my age got completely lost in our conversation. Instead, I got set up with an old spinster. A totally nice and super friendly old spinster... but still not my quite age group... yet
She told me that she was part of a church group and that I should maybe come and check out that group. And I thought "Oh dear!" but I figured it would not harm to check it out. After all, there might also be some younger women involved in it...
D. sent me the address of their meeting place and a week later, I found myself on my way to meet the other women. Yup... it turns out, that this meeting was at a retirement home, complete with nurses, oxygen bottles and those little old people with walkers.
The search for a support network turns out harder than I thought...
I have been blessed to find a great "liberal" Church home in with Unitarian Universalists. Our 20s/30s group runs north of 45, but not retirement home at all (plus there are plenty of actual 20-something and 30-somethings in the bunch). However, while Christians are welcomed, not everybody IS Christian. The UCC Church which I know less about is a liberal Christian denomination you might like to try if the UUs aren't Christian enough for you. Don't give up. There are great liberal churches out there!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the advice. I actually visited a UU congregation a couple of weeks ago. To be honest, I did not really like it. I believe a church should focus on God and the UUs don't. So, I felt that this was not the right place for me.
ReplyDelete