Friday, March 29, 2013

Tick, tock, tick, tock - Call the Midwife!

Last weekend, I heard my biological clock ticking much louder than usually. Tick, tock, tick, tock, tiiiiick, tooooock.

I cannot wait to get started TTC!!! Ideally, I would like to get started in August, but if I cannot wait that long, maybe as soon as June. But even time until June is passing soooo slowly at the moment! This feels a little bit like waiting for Christmas when time seems to stand still.

So, last weekend, I needed something to pass time in order to not completely go crazy. I decided I needed a movie night and searched for a movie related to the whole baby adventure. Over the past years, there have been some films out in the theaters that focused on women who decided to become single mothers. But I did not really like any of them.

There is "Plan B" with Jennifer Lopez. Yeah right. As if a woman who millions of men admire like JLo would ever be forced to resort to a plan B when it comes to baby making. Of course, she gets pregnant on the first try, and of course, she ends up finding her Prince Charming right after that. A lot of movies are completely unrealistic but still good entertainment. Unfortunately, this movie is not entertaining.

Then there is "The Switch" with Jennifer Aniston. I saw it, when it came to the theaters and I remember liking it. Liking, not loving. It was funny, it was okay. I do not remember all of its content, just that there was sperm that might have been switched and that the kid showed the same ticks as the guy who supposedly switched the donor`s sperm with his own. Hmmm. Also very unrealistic.

So, I kept on searching for a movie to watch last weekend until I came across the BBC series "Call the Midwife". It is not exactly about SMCs. I still loved the series because it shows women in all stages of life and classes of society having babies. The show plays in England in the 1950s and centers around a group of young midwifes, their work, friendships, and life in general. It does not always end well in baby rosa or light blue, but it ends realistically. It does not try to make you believe that life always has a happy ending. It shows that everybody has struggles and even though it does not relieve me from my own, it still gives me more comfort than watching JLo having twins. I love this show.

If you are interested in the show, you have until Sunday to catch up with the first season. You can watch it online on PBS and the second season starts to air on PBS this Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment