The other day, I was skyping with my friend C. He is currently in Europe and has some housing issues. He was telling me about how unfair life is giving him all these problems even though he didn't do anything wrong. And I agree. He really should not have to deal with all these things. Life is not fair.
Whenever I feel down, because life treats me unfairly, I try to tell myself that all the unfairness also has its good sides. I mean, I was extremely lucky that I was born in a part of the world and during a time when there were no famines or wars going on. I did nothing to deserve this and yet, it happened to me - how unfair is that! Also, I have a loving family and my parents are still healthy and alive, while my friend's father is about to die of cancer. Why am I so lucky and she is not - where is the fairness in all of this? Sure, a lot of things happened in my life that were not nice. But all in all, at the end of the day, I have to admit: I am far better off in this life than I deserve.
So that's what I told C when we were talking about his housing situation. But there was still some sadness hanging over the situation. Finally I said:
"You know, C, if life was fair, I would have found my prince charming by now and I would not have to go through all of this to get pregnant on my own."
To which C immediately responded:
"If life was fair, M. (his boyfriend) would be able to have our kids, because, Lord knows, I would never do anything like that to my body."
I guess friends are people who can make you laugh even when times seem bleak.
I like your philosophy.
ReplyDelete