Friday, March 22, 2013

Counseling?

Dr. Stork wants her patients to get counseling before they start the insemination process. I am not quite sure what to think about this.

In general, I am all for counseling and I understand why a doctor wants to cover her bases and sends her patients to counseling. After all, this is about people's lives. On the other hand, I do not really feel like I "need" counseling right now.

I started to look into the possibility of becoming an SMC many years ago, when I found a book about it in a used bookstore. The thought about it had crossed my mind even earlier but I think it was after I read this first book that I started seeing this as a real option for me. Since then, I read many more books about the topic and I became more and more convinced that this is what I want to do.

So, this is not something, I came up with over night or over the weekend. It took years for me to move forward and to decide that I will really do this. It would have been nice to talk to a counselor at an earlier point in the process but at this point I think I am already set.

Maybe I am also a little nervous because I do not know what to expect. I am not sure what there still is to discuss and if this will be over and done with in one meeting or if they want me to come back for several sessions. The whole insemination process is quite expensive and now this is an additional cost - a cost that I do not really see the value of at this point in time. So, I hope I won't have to attend more than one counseling session.

In any case, I want to comply with my doctor and so I set up a counseling appointment. The appointment is in 2 1/2 weeks and I am glad, it will get me a step closer to becoming a mom.

2 comments:

  1. It is in the ASRM (American Society for Reproductive Medicine) guidelines that doctors should require a counseling session for anyone using donor gametes (donor sperm or eggs). It's not a big deal.

    ReplyDelete