Thursday, February 6, 2014

Urgently Needed: GPS for Fertility Journey

We are driving down the road. A friend of mine who came for a short visit, sits next to me and I am showing him around town in my car. It is too cold to walk outside, so we decided to do a sightseeing tour by car. I show him downtown, the river walk, the museum, where I work and then I even venture into parts of town that - even after a year and a half - I am not quite familiar with, yet. As we drive towards an intersection I turn to him:  
I am sorry, I don't know where to go now. I think we are lost, I need to get out my GPS.

He looks at me puzzled:
What are you talking about? We just passed this intersection 10 min. ago. You have to turn left here. 

How come some people always know exactly where they are, even when they visit a new place for the first time and I don't?

I just don't.

I always get lost. Even if I have a map, driving directions and have taken that route before, I will get lost.

The only thing that stopped me from ending up somewhere in Mexico, when I moved from the Deep South back up to the Midwest, was my GPS. I did not know it, when I bought it on Black Friday five years ago, but it turned out to be one of the best investments I have made in my life. I am totally convinced that without it, I would have never gotten anywhere in the last years.

So, I wish there was a GPS for this journey to motherhood. Unfortunately, they don't sell these things during Black Friday sales. How awesome would it be, though, to have some warm voice tell you which turn to take next, when you are lost? Which treatment to choose, which donor to pick, which doctor to trust? Or to have a friend next to you who tells you which way is the right one.

My blog is called "The Road Less Traveled" and this is definitely true. A lot of people do not even know that this road exists and nobody, who decides to take it, really knows where it will lead. Once you are on it, it gets harder and harder to move forward, but it is impossible to go back. You lose a lot of money along the way and maybe some friends, too. You will constantly teeter between the gaping abysses and the soaring highs of emotions. Sometimes you wish you'd know what lies ahead, but most times it is good to not know what awaits you after the next turn. Taking one step at a time is all you can do, keeping your eyes open for anything that looks like it might take you to your goal.

And  that is what I will do.

4 comments:

  1. One of the hardest parts, I think, is the time pressure. Not only does each decision seem critically important, but because fertility only declines over time, there's a feeling that decisions have to happen RIGHT NOW. It's hard to pull over to the side of the road, so to speak, when we need a break.

    It sounds like you're doing all you can to find your way. (Sorry to hear about your last consult, though - what a total horror story!) I hope that you find the right doctor soon and that 2014 is your year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I feel like I have an urgent appointment with Mother Nature and I cannot be late. So, while I am speeding towards the intersection, I have to make up my mind which way to go. If I pick the wrong turn, I will have to take a detour, an expensive, time-consuming detour, or I might end up completely lost and never make it to my appointment.

      Never before in my life has time been such a cruel enemy.

      Delete
  2. New to your blog and I love this thought. Guess I should start with a GPS because I still haven't figured it out after 8 years TTC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my blog! Good to have you here and good to know that I am not alone longing for a GPS for the TTC journey.

      Delete