Monday, February 3, 2014

I am strong!

I managed to move from one continent to another with nothing but two suitcases. I settled in a foreign culture. I lived in the northern midwest for many years without a car and carried groceries through - 25°C on a weekly basis. Once I finally had a car, I drove 74 miles through a freaking blizzard and survived despite the fact that even I did not believe I would make it out there alive. Another time, I spent two hours taking shelter in a warehouse with 3 other women, while a tornado came right at us - and we survived. Once I had gathered somewhat of a household, I moved my whole stuff to a new state by driving a huge 8 wheeler all by myself, because the moving van bailed on me on the morning of the move! A year later, I moved again. This time through 7 states all by myself with all my stuff in tow. I bought a new car all by myself even though I don't have the slightest clue about cars and generally differentiate them just by color.
I finished a dissertation in a language that is not even my mother tongue, writing it at night, after I worked for 10 hours in a job that was actually two jobs. 280 pages! I gave talks in rooms full of experts in the field- people who had studied the subject for years, sometimes decades and they took time out of their days to listen to me. I found a new job at the time where there literally no new jobs in my field advertised, but I found it anyway, and they even picked me, and it turned out to even be a really good job.
So, when I told some of my friends I was going to become a mom on my own, they did not even blink. I am strong. I will get pregnant. This year!


2 comments: