Saturday, April 26, 2014

Denmark - here I come?!?

At the beginning of the month, I had my first skype consultation with a Danish clinic. After a lot of internet research, I found a clinic that I liked and that I thought might be right for me to do IVF with.

I decided for a European clinic, because they offer refunds if the IVF process has to be cancelled at certain points during the procedure (e.g. before egg retrieval or after retrieval but before implantation). Most American clinics asked patients to pay the full amount upfront and did not offer any refunds.
Also, the Danish clinic I found offered a package deal with 3 IVFs and 2 FETs for about the same cost that a single IVF treatment would have cost me at the clinics in my area. Unlike many American clinics that make package deals only available to women that fulfill certain criteria (age, hormone levels, BMI etc.) the Danish clinic offers the deal to all patients.
And finally, I was planning on spending my summer in Europe anyway. Being off work and having the time to travel to a clinic for monitoring and treatment makes things just easier. So, seaking treatment in Europe just seemed the logical step.

The skype consultation went very well. I really liked the doctor. She was super nice and answered all my questions patiently. So, I believe, I will go with this clinic and I am currently aiming for trying IVF in July.

If everything works out as planned, I have to get an ultrasound in June to check that everything is okay. I am a little bit worried about having suddenly developed a problem, in the last half year. That would put my IVF plans on hold and I could not try it this summer in Europe. I would be so crushed! So, let`s hope and pray that there are no polyps or cysts or other bad things that could cause a delay.

Then I have to figure out where to order my meds. I will compare prices in the US and in Germany and I hope that I will find the cheapest, easiest solution.

I also have to figure out how to pay for the treatment (e.g. transfer money to Europe). But I am not as worried about this as I am worried about a polyp or a cyst or a fibroid.

Finally, I should decide which sperm I want to use. I had my heart set on the American donor that I used for my last two IUI attempts. He is exactly what I always wanted. However, I am worried about transferring the sperm safely to Denmark. How do I manage that the sperm will arrive safely and that customs won`t keep it too long, or x-ray it or something? I also found a Danish donor who I really liked, but I don`t like him as much as my American donor - partially because I do not have that much information about him. So, what shall I do?

Questions over questions and so many things left to plan and left to organize. If only it could already be July!

No comments:

Post a Comment